For nearly two decades, fans of The X-Files have wondered what could have been. The 2008 feature film The X-Files: I Want to Believe arrived with high hopes but left many feeling underwhelmed. Now, creator Chris Carter is finally getting his chance to show audiences the movie he always intended to make. Disney+ has announced that a never-before-seen director's cut of the film will debut on the platform on June 11, 2026.

Speaking on the Fail Better with David Duchovny podcast last year, Carter revealed that the original cut was significantly scarier than what hit theaters. “I made it too scary, basically, and I was told so by the brass at Fox, and they wanted a PG-13 movie,” he explained. “So we cut it back to be a PG-13 movie, and we thought, ‘Okay, we’ve satisfied their demands.’” The theatrical release received mixed reviews, and the franchise eventually returned as a revival series rather than a third film. But now, Carter has the green light to restore his vision.

Read also
Streaming
Jacob Elordi's 'Saltburn' Romantic Nightmare Dominates HBO Max in May 2026
Jacob Elordi's 'Saltburn' is back in the spotlight as a top streaming hit on HBO Max, alongside his divisive 'Wuthering Heights' adaptation.

“Now I have a chance to go back and make the scary movie that I always intended to make,” Carter said. “It’s not just doing a director’s cut to do a director’s cut. It’s really kind of bringing to life something that, for me, was on the page but never got to the screen.” This is a major win for X-Philes who have long championed the film as a thoughtful character study wrapped in a monster-of-the-week mystery. The standalone story follows Mulder and Scully as they grapple with personal faith and a chilling supernatural case.

The Disney+ press release lists the offering as “The X-Files: I Want to Believe – Director’s Cut | Bonus Feature,” leading some to speculate whether this is the full cut or a preview of a future release. Either way, the promise of a restored horror-tinged version is enough to reignite excitement. It’s worth noting that this is not the same as the extended cut that added just three minutes of footage. This is a fundamentally different film.

While the original film was criticized for avoiding the alien mythology that defined the series, the director’s cut may finally give fans the visceral, unsettling experience Carter originally envisioned. For those who have always appreciated the film’s intimate focus on Mulder and Scully’s relationship, this new version could be a revelation. And with Ryan Coogler developing a reboot, interest in the franchise is higher than ever.

Gillian Anderson has recently expressed renewed interest in reprising her role as Dana Scully, especially with Coogler’s involvement. Could this director’s cut be a stepping stone to more adventures? Only time will tell. For now, fans can mark their calendars for June 11, 2026, when the truth—in its scariest form—finally streams on Disney+.

In the meantime, check out our analysis of why 'Millennium' deserves the revival that 'The X-Files' keeps getting, and see how Jon Bernthal's Punisher crime thriller dominates Disney+ as MCU return looms.